Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ginsu knives and Gunnery


I've actually been doing some straight-up serious shit lately. Melee weapons have always been a problem for Mayhem 3 because the torso can not be animated, and believe me, animating one arm for a sword slash is not fun. What I opted to do was continue the game's approach of animating the weapon stuff using a process called KEYFRAME ANIMATION, or something.

So, I manually move my arm and wrist joints to create a slashing movement, but the kicker is, I did this in a way that allows me to reuse all this code for multiple melee weapons. As it is right now, I can add in a picture of a frozen chicken, and maybe 5 lines of code, start up the game and Mig will be wacking things with it.

Another breakthrough is the weapons handling system. After playing Quake 4, and realising how terrible it was to constantly have to switch back and forth between the 10 weapons midfight, I decided to do away with the weapons collectathon that's been prevalant in action games since Wolfenstein 3D. Frankly, it's getting a little old. I deleted all the weapon handling code that was inplace, and added a framework for something similar to how FarCry did its weapons. You don't have to cycle through 10 different weapons, but rather choose your own loadout by picking up weapons in the field.

Initially you can hold 2 at once, and swap them out for something else you see any time you want. The biggest benefit of this, surely, is that I can make as many weapons as I want, and make them as gimmicky or selective as I want, because ultimately it's up to you wether you're going to be blasting bunnies with them. And when you explore that last nook or cranny and find some secret nuclear missile launcher, I think you'll agree, it's going to be really fucking rewarding.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it'd be neat if certain melee weapons allowed you to damage enemies by rolling into them.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is looking good dude.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Dustin Gunn said...

Thanks Circy. And Beamsplash, I don't quite get what you mean.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do that double-tap maneuver into enemies with certain melee weapons and it'll cause much pain, ya?

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home